Breast implants come in an extensive array of sizes, shapes, and materials. The broad variety available makes it easier than ever to customize your outcome and achieve very natural-looking and feeling results. Breast implants can enhance breast size, of course, and they can also make breasts fuller and more symmetrical. Dr. Moises Salama, our board certified plastic surgeon, utilizes the most advanced implants available. He can help you determine the ideal implant type based on your anatomic characteristics, lifestyle, and desired effect. During your initial consultation, you and he will discuss your options and collaborate on a treatment plan tailored to your goals.
What are the different types of breast implants?
To better understand how breast implants can achieve your goals, it’s important to understand the various types of implants available and what each offers. Generally speaking, there are two categories of implant material: silicone and saline.
- Saline Implants: Comprised of a silicone shell filled with a saltwater solution known as saline, this type of implant was the most popular option for many years. In the unlikely event that a tear or rupture should occur, the saline solution should be harmlessly absorbed by the body. Saline implants are available in smooth and textured models and also come in a range of sizes. This type of implant is often a particularly good choice for patients with significant existing breast tissue and a small amount of ptosis, or droop, as the implant can provide a “perkier” and firmer look and feel. Saline implants are FDA-approved for patients who are at least 18 years old.
- Silicone Implants: Currently the most popular style of implant at our practice, silicone implants feature a silicone shell filled with a silicone gel interior. The gel is designed to stay in place in the unusual event of a rupture and should not “leak out” into the body at all. One of the benefits of silicone implants is the ability to create a very natural-looking outcome. Many patients love how natural-feeling the results are as well. Additionally, silicone implants come in many textures, shapes, and sizes. This type of implant can be an excellent choice for patients with minimal existing breast tissue, thin skin, and minimal fat, as a visible implant line or edge is less likely to occur. Silicone implants are FDA-approved for patients 22 years of age and older.
- “Gummy Bear” Implants: A type of silicone implant, the anatomically shaped cohesive gel or “gummy bear” implant is one of the most advanced implant types available. Durable and strong, most patients love the gummy bear implant for its ability to mimic the natural breast in appearance and texture. The cohesive silicone gel is designed to remain within the implant shell should damage or rupture occur. As with other silicone implants, gummy bear implants come in many shapes, sizes, and textures to best suit your unique needs and goals. The cohesive gel implant is FDA-approved for patients 22 years of age or older.
Many patients know right away what type of implant they want, but we encourage you to discuss your ideas, concerns, and goals with Dr. Salama. He can help determine which option is ideal for you based on a wide range of criteria.
What implant shapes and textures are available?
Another factor you may have to consider is the implant shape and texture. Breast implants, including saline and silicone models, come in either smooth or textured versions. Dr. Salama can let you know which one is best for your needs and goals. As for shape, implants can be round or teardrop-shaped. The teardrop is intended to resemble the natural sloping shape of the female breast. Most shaped implants are silicone, and round implants can be either saline or silicone.
How do I choose the right breast implant size?
Selecting the right size is a very personal decision. You may only wish to increase your breast size a small amount to make this area more proportional with your body and to achieve a more feminine silhouette. Or you may wish to increase the size more dramatically. Whatever your cosmetic goals, we can help you decide which size implant to choose. We can also guide you in picking an implant profile. Profile, also called projection, is how far out from the body the implant projects. Some profiles are anatomically-shaped, with a sloping teardrop form, and others are round. Dr. Salama will review all your choices, explain them thoroughly, and provide advice throughout your initial consultation. We want your experience to be informative and comfortable from start to finish.
Natrelle® Breast Implants
At our state-of-the-art practice, we offer a full range of Natrelle® breast implants, including:
- Natrelle INSPIRA®: Round silicone-gel implants with a greater silicone volume for a more pronounced look
- Natrelle® Classic: Round silicone-gel implant that has a classic look and youthful firm feel
- Natrelle® 410: Anatomically shaped silicone-gel implant that provides a greater teardrop shape result with greater upper pole fullness
- Natrelle® Saline: Round saline-filled implant with a classic look and varying profile models
For more information about the breast implant models we offer, please contact our knowledgeable medical team today to learn more or to schedule a consultation.