Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Have you been dieting and exercising without seeing any results in your midsection? Do you have excess tissue and hanging skin in the abdominal area that you can never get rid of? If no matter what you’ve tried to reduce your midsection doesn’t work, perhaps you should consider a plastic surgery procedure. The Tummy Tuck offers immediate, dramatic results by removing the excess loose skin and tissue and tightening the abdominal muscles. Abdominoplasty is also ideal for patients that are have undergone drastic weight loss who now have hanging abdominal skin that cannot be corrected without surgery.
About Tummy Tuck Surgery
At Elite Plastic Surgery, tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia and typically takes between 1.5 to 3 hours. The procedure involves liposuction of the flanks, a hip-to-hip incision that lies below the bikini line to hide post-op scarring and tightening of the abdominal muscle wall for tighter more contoured waistline. While results are immediately visible, final results can be experienced within 3 to 6 months. It’s important to understand that while abdominoplasty contours the body, it is not a weight loss surgery and should not be approached as such.
Cosmetic Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
The removal of excess loose, hanging abdominal skin can provide many benefits including:
- A Tighter and Flatter Abdomen – Since a tummy tuck removes excess skin of the abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles, the most significant benefit is flatter, tighter abdomen and contoured waistline.
- Better Fitting Clothes – Having excess skin and tissue in your midsection can make you self-conscious about the clothes you wear, especially tight clothing. A tummy tuck allows your clothing to fit more comfortably and attractively since you don’t have a protruding abdomen.
- The Elimination of Stretch Marks – All stretch marks that lie in the area that is excised by the tummy tuck, below the naval and above the bikini, are removed along with the skin.
- Easier weight loss maintenance and management – Research shows that bariatric patients tend to keep their weight off when they combine the surgery with a tummy tuck. In addition, a tummy tuck makes it easier for patients to do physical activities, as well as makes the physical activates more enjoyable.
Medical Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
In addition to the cosmetic benefits, there are also medical advantages to having a tummy tuck including:
- Better Posture – Sway back or lordosis is often associated with weak abdominal muscles. The tightening of the abdominal muscles with a tummy tuck helps restore a weakened core, improving posture and lower back pain.
- Reduced Stress Urinary Incontinence – According to several studies, a tummy tuck can aid in improving Stress Urinary Incontinence, which some women develop after a vaginal childbirth. This is particularly true for patients who’ve never had a cesarean delivery.
- Correction and Prevention of Ventral Hernia – Abdominal tissue can push through weak abdominal muscles creating a ventral hernia, which can be very painful and limiting in movement. A ventral hernia can be repaired during a tummy tuck and future occurrences are prevented since the abdominal muscles are tightened.
- Minimized Risk for Some Medical Conditions – The removal of the excess skin and tissue can help reduce the risk of patients encountering heart disease, diabetes, gall bladder disease, gallstones and sleep apnea.
As you can see, there are many benefits abdominoplasty offers from a cosmetic and medical standpoint. Plus, your results are permanent provided you maintain your weight after the procedure. Learn more about the process for the tummy tuck procedure, contact our patient coordinators today.